Wednesday, August 15, 2007

So Much for Smooth Connections

I traveled to Taipei Airport yesterday as planned, again in torrential rain. The flight also began as planned at 7:30pm. Between Taipei and Bangkok, we had to fly close to another typhoon, but otherwise it was okay. When we were about to depart again from Bangkok for Amsterdam at around midnight, already on the plane, they said the plane's weather radar was not working. They tried to get spare parts from six different companies that service planes at the airport, but nobody had the parts. Meanwhile, we sat on the plane and watched movies on the video system. About two or more hours later, they canceled the flight and took us all off to a hotel without our checked luggage. They also took our passports from us at immigration, probably because they kept the luggage. At about 3am we got to our rooms. Somehow I managed to be on the first shuttle bus to the hotel, and first in line for a room. You can imagine the line - a 747 holds 400 people. The very last time I came through Bangkok, I also had to spend the night. That time it was due to the weather in Taipei. I was coming from Germany, and after stopping over in Bangkok, we flew half way to Taipei before turning back to Bangkok to spend the night. At least that time we were allowed to take our luggage with us. This time I was at least partly lucky, partly smart. I happened to stuff a t-shirt, underwear, and socks into my backpack at the last minute before leaving Taiwan. So far, my polo shirt is hanging in there pretty well too.



I got a few hours sleep, some free breakfast, and now I am about to check out of the hotel. The flight is supposed to be leaving at 3pm today, but the adventure is not over, because that puts us into Amsterdam late in the evening, and I'm not sure I can get to Hamburg, Germay that late without spending the night in Amsterdam. Maybe I should have just turned this trip into a vacation, stopping in all of these exotic cities. It could have been a pretty good one, except for a missing person.




The friendly staff at China Airlines Lounge


The lobby at Novotel in Bangkok


Probably some sort of shrine thing

2 comments:

the_traveler said...

Hey hun, I tried to call again but couldn't get through. Then I realized I was trying and it was like 12:30am there, so I quit trying. I got some sleep so feel pretty good. I'll let you know how I make out.

Bev said...

I hope that you get combat/hazard pay for all your travels!

 
hit counter code